Visual activist Zanele Muholi and journalist Lerato Dumse visited Pittsburgh last week to exhibit in the CI:13 Carnegie International and Q&B was lucky enough to be in the mix. As we showed them around town and traded stories about South Africa and the ‘burgh we learned more about Zanele’s Faces & Phases series and Inkanyiso Queer Media. This podcast is a great intro to Zanele & Lerato’s upcoming lecture at the Carnegie Museum of Art on Tues. Oct. 8th at 6:30pm. Check out our conversation and see you at the lecture.
Our conversation includes:
- Shared displacement: The Hill in Pittsburgh & District 6 in Capetown, South Africa
- So Fresh & So Clean clean: Queer church in Durban
- Lesbian Heterosexuals (?!)
- The importance of a queer archive
- Activism is the focus. It’s not only about the photographs
Also, check out the pics of our time with Zanele and Lerato!